* Unripe but old banana var. Kepok; ripe and old for other varieties.
* Plastic pail
* Plastic dryer rack
* Remove banana fruits from the bunch.
* Steam for about 10 minutes to decrease sticky sap, improve the flour color, and facilitate the peeling process.
* Peel and then slice into small pieces.
* Soak in 5% citric acid for about 30 minutes, then drain.
* Sun-dry on the plastic rack, until 10% moisture content is achieved.
* Mill and sift.
* Package and store in a closed, dry place.
Benefits of Banana Flour
Banana flour can be used as a mixture material for various cakes/breads (wet and dry cakes), and for infant feeding. Banana flour contains low gluten, so it could not be used as the main cake material. Therefore, to produce high quality cake, banana flour must be mixed with wheat flour.
According to a study in the Journal of Food Science, published by the Institute of Food Technologists, supplementing pasta with unripe banana flour may be a healthy addition since banana flour contains antioxidants and fiber.